Accommodations, Auxiliary Aids and Services
Looking for the Academic Accommodation Request Form?
The Office for Accessibility and Educational Opportunity (AEO) provides and coordinates a variety of accommodations, auxiliary aids, and services for qualified students with disabilities. All accommodations are based on the current nature of the student’s disability or disabilities, supporting documentation, and the specific requirements of the course, program, or activity. Accommodations and services are paid for by Vassar College unless otherwise specified. Personal services, such as prescriptive devices, health-care aids, personal computing equipment, or private tutoring, are the responsibility of the individual with a disability. Disability accommodation requests can be made at any time; the availability of the accommodation, auxiliary aid, or service may be affected, however, by a request made later than suggested periods.
Commonly offered academic accommodations include, but are not limited to,
- Alternative print formats such as audiotape, Braille, electronic text, enlarged print, etc.
- Classroom relocation and specialized classroom furnishings
- Course and program modifications, as appropriate
- Closed captioning services
- Exam modifications such as extended time, access to a low-distraction room, or use of assistive technology
- Lab/library assistants
- Notetaker services
- Pre-registration assistance and advising
- Scribe and transcription services
- Sign language interpreters
The Office for Accessibility and Educational Opportunity also provides consultation to Vassar faculty, administrators and staff regarding disability-related workplace accommodations, and sponsors workshops and lectures to promote greater awareness and understanding of disability issues within our community. Students with temporary impairments should also contact the office to learn about available support services.